Have you ever wondered how to make the best pumpkin pie? Have you ever made a pie from scratch and wondered what to do with the rest of the parts of the pumpkin? Well, we have the answers for you. HC turned a sugar pumpkin into three tasty treats: pumpkin pie, sweet roasted pumpkin seeds and pumpkin skin chips. Keep reading for delicious, no-waste recipes!
The Best Pumpkin Pie
- 1 small/medium sugar pumpkin*
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 12 oz can of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 crust (classic or graham cracker, store bought or home made)**
* Before you can make the pie, you have to turn the pumpkin into puree. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the pumpkin in half and scrape out the seeds and strings. Set seeds aside. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the pumpkin halves cut side down. Bake for an hour/hour and a half -- until a fork can easily pierce the skin. Remove from oven, let cool, scoop out pulp -- be careful not to rip the skins, then set those aside. Blend pulp in a food processor until smooth.
** This filling recipe makes enough for two pies. Either have two crusts or you can freeze the second half of the mix for up to one month. When you're ready for it, defrost in fridge and stir before baking.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Beat the eggs and egg yolk in a large bowl. Add the sugars, salt and spices. Mix until blended.
3. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 325°F. Bake the pie for another 30-45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. You may want to wrap aluminum foil around the crust half way through baking to keep the crusts from burning.
4. Cool the pie on a wire rack for about 2 hours.
Cinnamon Sweet Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds from sugar pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Separate seeds from any pulpy parts of the pumpkin. Soaking them in water for 20 minutes helps this process.
2. Let seeds dry by spreading them on a baking sheet lined with a paper towel.
3. Toss seeds with oil, sugar and cinnamon. Spread in a single layer.
4. Bake seeds for 20-35 minutes, until crispy.
Pumpkin Skin Chips
- Skin from sugar pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. Cut pumpkin skins into wedges or strips.
3. Sprinkle olive oil and salt on the pieces.
4. Roast for 20-35 minutes, until they look dry.